VA OIG FOIA and Privacy Act Requests

Information on the Office of Inspector General Website

Please note that many VA OIG reports are available to the public at the reports page.  You may submit requests for OIG records using the directions below.

(Note: Requests for military records and Department of Veterans Affairs records not maintained by the VA OIG must be directed to other authorities. Please read this page about contacting the appropriate office before submitting your request. In particular, for non-OIG records maintained by the Department of Veterans Affairs, please contact the VA office found at If you do not know which office to contact, please follow the directions at the bottom of this page.)

Requesting OIG Records

To make a request under the Freedom of Information Act or Privacy Act (FOIA/PA) for records maintained by the VA OIG, your request should

  1. be in writing (see Sample FOIA Request);
  2. be signed and include a COPY of proof of identity (if the request concerns documents involving a personal privacy interest or documents protected by another confidentiality statute);
  3. reasonably describe the information you are seeking (including any specific information such as a report number or OIG hotline complaint number), and
  4. be sent to the following address:

    Office of Inspector General

    Department of Veterans Affairs

    Release of Information Office (50CI)

    810 Vermont Avenue, NW

    Washington, DC 20420

    FAX: (202) 495-5867

Requesting Records from Department of Veterans Affairs (Not OIG Records)

General Information: VA FOIA Office website. This website includes the contact information for the FOIA offices throughout the VA.

If you are unclear what VA Office maintains the records you seek, submit your request to the VA Central Office FOIA Service, which will redirect your request to the appropriate office.

Department of Veterans Affairs

Central Office FOIA Team (005R1C)

810 Vermont Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20420


FAX: (202) 632-7581

Requesting Military Records

If you are seeking a copy of your military records, you can request those records from the National Personnel Records Center.

Privacy Notice

Departmental privacy statement on information collected by email

Information you send might be incorporated into a Privacy Act System of Records [Inspector General Complaint Center Records (66VA53)]