To serve veterans and the public by conducting meaningful independent oversight of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
To perform audits, inspections, investigations, and reviews that improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and integrity of the Department of Veterans Affairs’ programs and services.
To achieve this vision, the Office of Inspector General (OIG) will
- identify and prioritize work that will have the greatest impact on the lives of veterans, their families and caregivers, and on VA resources and operations;
- prevent and address fraud and other crimes, waste, and abuse, as well as advance efforts to hold responsible individuals accountable;
- help ensure eligible veterans and other beneficiaries receive prompt and high-quality health care, services, and benefits by issuing accurate, timely, and objective reports; and
- make meaningful data- and evidence-driven recommendations that enhance VA programs or operations and promote the appropriate use of taxpayer dollars.
- Protect individuals who allege wrongdoing and treat them with respect and dignity
- Promote diversity, equity, and inclusion within the OIG and a climate that attracts and retains the highest-quality staff
- Meet the highest standards of integrity, professionalism, and accountability
- Safeguard the OIG’s independence and maintain transparency
- Honor veterans and all those who serve them by continually striving for excellence